Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remember

Like anyone else who was alive and old enough to understand what was going on, I (Aimee) remember where I was when I learned about what was going on in New York on September 11, 2001. I remember how I spent that day. I remember the emotions that ran through me as I watched everything unfold on the tv. I also, (and perhaps more clearly) remember the lack of emotion as I watched and thought about how unreal it all felt, thought about how helpless I felt, thought about so many things that all I wanted was to stop thinking and so I became numb.
 
I remember. I don’t think that I will ever forget. I don’t think that I could forget if I tried. But as  friend of mine posted on her Facebook page today, someday all of us who were alive and remember will be gone and there will be no one left who really remembers. That’s how life works. That’s how it’s always gone for every major catastrophe and atrocity throughout history.
 
Therefore, how can we continue to say: “never forget”?
 
Someday it will be forgotten. New generations will learn about it, but that isn’t the same thing. Just as when I read about World War 1 or 2, they aren’t my memories. I acquire the information, and I can work to make sure I don’t forget the information. But that isn’t the same.
 
So, why do we continue to say: “never forget”?
 
When we say “never forget,” it isn’t a call to dwell on the past, to focus on the memories, to relive them and shudder. 
 
It isn’t an angry call to remember the harm done to people and to our nation as a whole, to refocus hate on whoever we think the enemy is.
 
It is a call to remember the sacrifices that were made so that today and tomorrow and for the rest of our lives we can live lives that honor those sacrifices.
 
It is a call to remember that in a dark, dark day of our history, people stepped up to help, to serve, to protect, and to comfort. Friends and strangers. Those who were trained and whose who were not.
 
It is a call to remember that even in darkness there is light at the end of the tunnel when we pull together and lean on God.
 
Just as we are to live everyday honoring the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on the cross. That was a very, very dark day. Evil truly believed that they had achieved a victory. And while it was painful, we can now look back on it and see the brightest of lights that is at the end of that tunnel.
 
When we remember Jesus’ sacrifice, it isn’t to dwell on the pain, it isn’t to be angry at those who crucified Him, it is to remember to live lives that honor that sacrifice, it is to remember that with our focus in the right place (on God) we can get through anything, it is to remember and focus on the Light when we pull together and lean on God.
 
 
Thank you, God, for the sacrifice of Your Son.
Thank you, Jesus, for enduring the pain we all deserve.
Thank you, Lord, for creating and inspiring people who risk their lives for our greater good. I suppose it’s just another way that You created us in Your image.
Lord, bless those who still suffer, allow them to see the Light that they might have joy once again.
God you are good.

Amen.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment