Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Routine

Everyday I (Sherann) do the same thing.  I wake up at 7:15am, get ready, go to the office around 8:30am, I set-up my computer (1 mac and 1 pc), I go downstairs to get a cup of joe (in my Sun-Maid cup), check my plant to make sure it's not dead, check the messages on my phone, check my emails, and start another day.  Is it routine? Yes.  Having a routine is not a bad thing, but quite often, our daily routine may affect our joy, and also our attitude towards others. 
A couple days ago,  I decided  to change my morning routine by spending my mornings with the Lord.  You see, I block off time in the evenings to specifically pray, read the Word, and catch up on other important ministry books.  It's what you would call my "down" time.  I absolutely enjoy MY time with the Lord and I like to conclude my evenings with Him.  It's "our time."  But, I also wanted to break my morning routine and wake up earlier to be in His Word.  Start my day off with Him.    So, I attempted to do it yesterday... and guess what? I slept through my alarm. Come on, I'm not the only one who "accidentally" hit the snooze button!  Anyway, last night I asked the Lord to wake me up early enough to spend some time with Him.  And guess what? I was wide awake at 6:45am and spent some time in His Word/prayer.  At this point, you may be wondering why I am writing this... well, because I came into the office refreshed!  I may still have to check my emails, answer my messages, etc., but my attitude was so different.  I am reminded of Psalms 92.1-4 which states,
      "It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing
       praises to your name, O Most High; to declare
       your steadfast love in the morning, and your
       faithfulness by night, to the music of the flute
       and the harp, to the melody of the lyre.  For
       you, O LORD, have made me glad by your
       work; at the works of your hands I sing for
       joy."

Please don't misunderstand me.  We are not required to spend time with the Lord only in the mornings. And it certainly does not mean that He only responds to us at a certain time of day.  But, what I am saying is that by fixing and giving my attention to Him, it has not only changed my attitude but also my understanding that He is God and I am not.  I will still continue to spend my evenings with Him, but I will also wake up having  my focus on Him, rather than on me.
How do you start off your mornings?

No comments:

Post a Comment