Saturday, March 26, 2011

a cup of joe

Passion: any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling.

I (Sherann) was watching the Food Network the other day, and I came across Chef Anne Burrell making mushroom risotto.  Let me just say that it looked good! I was interested in how to make this wonderful dish and immediately my eyes were glued to the tube.  After 10 minutes of watching her cook, a word popped into my head... "passion."  I know that all the chefs on the Food Network have to be excited about what they are doing, but with Chef Anne, it was more than just "selling" excitement... she has a passion! A passion for food! It simply flows out of her.

After watching her show, I started to reflect on my passions.... so I listed a few:

1.  Passionate about coffee.  I love a good latte, with great foam!  The foam has to be fluffy, thick enough to leave a mustache on your mouth, and it must have a nice burnt caramel color on top.

2.  Passionate about playing the guitar.  I love my martin and the way it sounds!  I love the way it sounds after I changed the strings, I love to play my heart out, and I just love to worship the Lord through a wooden instrument.

3.  Passionate about Jesus.  It gives me chills to know that I have a PERSONAL relationship with Him.  He knows my name.  He calls me His child.  I love the fact that He loved me enough to die for me, even when I don't deserve it!

My friends know that I love coffee.  I drink it and I love to spend time at Starbucks (or any coffee shop). How do they know? Because I talk about it.  They also know that I play the guitar. How? Because I either play when they are around or I talk about it.  And they also know that I'm a Christian. How? Because I talk about Jesus.
I love coffee, but it doesn't save me.  I love the guitar, but it doesn't rescue me.  But Jesus? Well, He rescued me and saved me. More importantly, it's because I have an intimate relationship with Him.  But often times, I wonder... why do we talk more about the other "stuff" and not THE ONE that has the power to save?

If you listed your passions, what is it that you talk more about with your friends? co-workers? random people?  And if Jesus is on your list... do you talk more of Him or the things He created?

soli deo gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment