Wednesday, May 25, 2011

undeserved kindness


“Stop being nice to them!” I’ve (Sherann) heard this a lot from my brother… well, even from friends.  Is it wrong to be ‘Christ-like’ in every area of your life?  ... even during those calls when the receptionist sounds so annoyed with you when all you want to do is make a correction on your monthly statement?  Or what about that rude server who doesn’t even acknowledge your existence while you wait patiently for your food?  Are you supposed to show kindness to others when they clearly don’t deserve it?  And why is it that when you start being firm and forward that you get what you need in a fraction of the time you try to be nice and subtle? 
Does your act of kindness make you look weak?

My flesh tells me to be rude because they were rude.  My flesh tells me that I don’t have to be kind because they made a mistake with my order.  However, my spirit tells me that Jesus loves them.  My spirit tells me that I should love my neighbor as I love myself.  My spirit tells me that I want to be Christ-like no matter how rude they are to me. 
But the question is… does your act of kindness make you look weak?   
What are your thoughts?  Should we as believers show kindness no matter what they do or say?  Or should they get exactly what they deserve?
soli deo gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment